Friday, February 15, 2008

Ispace YouSpace WeAllSpace for MySpace

Well, I've had a chance to check out and comment on the library's myspace page and check out some of the resources/blogs/comments on library's having myspace accounts and I don't find myself coming down on one side or another. I prefer facebook because #1 the only people that ever ask me (so far, at least) to add them as friends are people I ACTUALLY know, #2 I can do many more amusing and unique things with people on facebook besides leaving a comment on their page or messaging them. I'm not subscribed to anyone's blog and I've done less than a handful of blogs on myspace in 3 or so years that I've been on there. So, I don't use it very often, and the spam is very tiresome, enough said on that. The question of whether or not teens would feel like they're space is being threatened by adults, I can't really comment on. All of the people who I know to any degree on myspace are in the 20-30 range, agewise. So, the fact that myspace appealed more to teenagers and that facebook more to college-age users was news to me. I think the library myspace page could be a very fun and useful tool for the library, but it'll probably take a lot of time and effort on the part of the librarian maintaining it. Major kudos to whomever that individual happens to be.

No comments: